Busting the Funk

Free at last, free at last, I’m no longer funky, I’m free at last.

And in more ways than one. I worked on the new book yesterday which makes two days in a row on the same project and I’m excited about the possibilities of future work on it. Also, I got the first responses back from my last round of queries and one of them asked for sample pages. This makes the first positive response in nearly 40 queries, but since I changed up the letter I’m 1 for 2.

I’m also starting a new shift at work today with a new desk. A desk I don’t have to share with anyone. The way are scheduling is set up is in a shift bid format. All of the possible shifts for the call center are put into a database and each team member is assigned a bid number based on their hire date. I was toward the middle of the third phase which isn’t too bad considering I was the very last person on the list last bid. But I’m a little ticked that everybody else who was in my training class was at the top of my phase which gave them much better shift choices. I ended up with 12:30pm to 9:30pm with Fridays and Sundays off. Not exactly perfect, but better than what I had.

What’s the worst shift you’ve ever had to work?

2 thoughts on “Busting the Funk

  1. The worst shift I ever worked was 10 pm to 8 am at a home for two men with mental retardation. The job itself wasn’t bad (aside from the fact that both guys had violent tendencies), but the hours sucked. I had a 45-minute commute to work, then my 10-hour shift. Then I had to commute an hour-and-half to reach the University of Maine at Farmington to make my 10 a.m. class. I had classes until 4 p.m., then a 1-hour ride home, slept for a couple of hours, then it was time to get up and do it all over again. Once the clients were in bed and all my cleaning and paperwork was done, I usually had time to do my homework.I did this for all of one semester and the first month of another, before quitting the job.

  2. Newspapers have the worst shifts. I worked 6 p.m. to 2 p.m. for 10 years. Before that, I worked 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. And for a short time I worked 3 p.m. to 11 p.m, which was the worst, because you couldn’t do anything before or after.

Comments are closed.